recent
News

Are mushrooms dangerous for dogs?

Home

 Autumn is the favorite season to go on a walk in search of edible mushrooms that will delight gourmets in the kitchen. This is a good occasion, at the same time, to make a great "nature" outing with your dog. However, you will have to be vigilant about his behavior, especially if his temperament always leads him to dig everywhere with his truffle, because if he comes across the wrong mushrooms, he risks having a bad time and your outing in the forest. will cut short.


Which mushrooms are toxic to dogs?

We know, as humans, that some fungi are toxic to our bodies and we should not eat them. The same goes for dogs for whom certain foods are dangerous and toxic, but when it comes to fungi, they are not totally the same as for humans.

For example, some porcini mushrooms or boletus that we love, cause digestive symptoms in dogs, just like oyster mushrooms, bacteria, and puffball.

The white Clitocybe (Clitocybe deabalta) or the terrestrial inocybe (Inocybe geophyte) in particular are particularly bad for dogs too, as are the panther amanita, the fly agaric, or the phylloid amanita.

Musical and ibotenic acid are the toxins incriminated in amanita, while muscarine, close to acetylcholine, is the cause of poisoning due to the ingestion of Inocybes and Clitocybe.

Symptoms of mushroom poisoning in dogs

The symptoms of mushroom poisoning vary in terms of disorders that can range from diarrhea to convulsions, including hypersalivation, loss of balance, agitation, hallucinations, or vomiting.

They can also appear more or less long after ingestion (15mn to 4h approximately), sometimes disappear or worsen.

Ceps, oyster mushrooms, bacteria, and puffballs will only cause gastrointestinal disturbances (diarrhea, vomiting) which will quickly pass.

Inocybes and Clitocybes lead to a muscarinic syndrome that manifests itself by abdominal pain (diarrhea, vomiting), hypersecretions (hypersalivation, excessive sweating, dehydration), and difficulty in breathing. An antidote treatment administered quickly may help the dog.

Amanita is treated because symptoms can appear up to several days after consumption. Symptoms can begin with digestive disturbances that hide internal complications such as liver and kidney damage, hemorrhages, and nervous system dysfunctions often causing coma and death in the vast majority of cases.

Since it is rare to have seen precisely which mushroom has been chewed, the diagnosis is difficult to make. In all cases, we must react quickly.

What to do in case of the poisoning of the dog with fungi?

If you have any pieces of the mushroom that caused the poisoning, take them with you. Only try to make the dog vomit if you know how to do it (you must not put your fingers in its mouth), do not give it anything to eat or drink and go urgently to the vet, taking the remains of the offending fungus and his vomit if he has vomited. These elements will help the veterinarian in his diagnosis and in the rapid administration of an antidote.

You will understand, when you go to mushrooms with your dog, keep an eye out for a nice picking but don't lose your eyes either, especially if he tends to be curious about everything!

google-playkhamsatmostaqltradent