recent
News

Can I feed my dog onion?

Home


dog-onion


Onions should never be part of the dog's diet! Whether cooked or raw, the danger is real for dogs. Sometimes it only takes a small piece for them to become poisoned. You must identify the symptoms as quickly as possible in order to react, because the longer you wait, the more your animal suffers and risks losing his life.

The onion is defined as a vegetable plant, therefore a vegetable. It has countless virtues and is almost always found in our dishes. Due to its composition, it is considered toxic to our dogs. Poisoning can happen quite ordinary. It can take place, for example, if you give your pet table scraps or if they steal an onion from the reserve.

Poisoning can also occur if your pet eats onion pie, takes bulbs from the garden, or even feeds them baby food jars that usually contain onions. This vegetable is composed of sulfur-type derivatives. They are the source of harmful effects on your dog. They cause hemolytic anemia. In other words, they destroy the red blood cells responsible for blood circulation.

The potential risks of onions for my dog

This food contains sulfur derivatives which are the cause of this very harmful side for your animal. It causes hemolytic anemia, so red blood cells are destroyed. If some masters think that cooking makes it less dangerous, the truth is different. Even if it is prepared or raw, the danger is the same. Whether it's dehydrated or frozen, there is also a risk.

The toxic dose would be 5 to 10 grams per kilogram. So a single onion would be enough to make your pet sick if it weighs 10 kilograms. Damage may begin between 12 and 24 hours after ingestion.

Cooking an onion has no effect on its sulfur derivatives. So, regardless of what form it has been consumed (cooked, raw, fresh, frozen, or dehydrated), it is still dangerous. If your dog ingests it, without you knowing it, here are the symptoms that should alert you:

the weakness of the body ?;

too much breathing, a sign of a high heart rate (tachycardia) ?;

very pale mucous membranes ?;

yellowing of the eyes or gums?

loss of appetite ?;

brown urine from the destruction of red blood cells in his body ?;

splenomegaly, an enlarged spleen (which you can feel) ?;

In addition, in a few rare cases, diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal pain are also observed in animals.

Poisoning occurs when you ingest 11 grams of onion per kilogram of body weight. Several symptoms should alert you:

Your dog is suddenly cut down, he hardly moves

His breathing is very important

Heart rate is elevated (tachycardia)

The spleen is easy to palpate since its volume is markedly increased

.The urine turns red

In some cases, your dog may also be the target of diarrhea or vomiting. Within 24 hours of ingestion, he may have abdominal pain.

What if my dog has eaten an onion?

Some dog owners try to intervene when the first symptoms appear. Do not give any medicine or try to induce vomiting. This could worsen the situation which is already problematic. The best solution is to contact your veterinarian or a poison control center, even if you have the slightest doubt. Additional examinations may be necessary to gauge the extent of the situation. Urinary tests and a blood test validate the thesis of intoxication.

With the right treatment, it can take a few days for your dog to regain his former form. An infusion may be necessary if your pet is anemic since the red blood cells are destroyed. A prescription with vitamin E can also be considered.

What to replace onion if I want to give my dog another condiment?

Onion and garlic are not recommended for your dog's diet. Other condiments, however, have pride of place, such as olive oil, the virtues of which are well established even for humans. A teaspoon in the croquettes gives them a very appetizing side and you also improve the health in general as well as the coat. The latter becomes much silkier over the days. Two conditions must be met since extra virgin olive oil is preferred and it must be from organic farming.

Olives can also be given as a reward to your dog if you remove the pit first. They must not be prepared, filled, or made from other ingredients. The more traditional versions are the best. You can rinse them under water to remove some residue.

What to do when your dog has eaten it?

Intoxication can occur in two ways, either by single but massive ingestion or by moderate but repetitive ingestion.

In the first case, when you catch the animal in the act, gently try to remove the onion or the dish containing the onion from its mouth. Be careful not to get bitten. Assess how much he might have consumed before your procedure, if possible, take pictures or keep the labels. This will be necessary for the vet in case of complications. Monitor him (especially his urine) for at least a week.

In the second case, as soon as you notice the symptoms, you should call the vet. Sometimes the symptoms need to be treated. Usually, an infusion will be put in place to protect kidney function that is damaged by the destruction of red blood cells. The doctor may also prescribe vitamin E to protect the membranes of red blood cells. Monitoring of the animal's condition over 5 to 6 days may be considered, which may lead to hospitalization.

You will understand, this vegetable should be avoided from your canine's diet. The prognosis for onion poisoning is rarely bad. So, with the right treatment, it only takes a few days to get your dog back on his feet.


google-playkhamsatmostaqltradent